Okay, I will admit it. I am a makeup fanatic. I have way more than I need…but don’t we all? Even though I have oodles to play with, I have a tendency to stick with what looks best on me. But lately I’ve been itching to become more adventurous and start getting a bit more creative again.
This is where bright eyeliner comes in! And it’s especially perfect for summertime. However, pulling off a vibrant look can be challenging. The trick here is choosing the right colors for your skin tone/ eye color as well as the occasion in which you’d be using the liner. So let’s get started!
I have a few rules, or guidelines if you will when using bright colors anywhere on your face. My first being:
- Choose either your eyes or lips when going for a color- intense hue.
- Don’t over do it. If you choose an emerald green liner, stay away from also using a shadow in the green family. If you go with a tangerine lip then apply a bronzer below your cheekbones and wherever the sun would naturally hit your face. Then finish the look off with a volumizing black mascara.
As far as the right occasion for a daring look? I say anything goes! Of course there are some obvious “no no’s” like a strict work environment, or meeting your boyfriends mom for the first time!
How to wear bright eyeliner?
I’m a big fan of the old fashioned sexy “cat eye” when using a bold tone on the lid. But there are some great add on’s to your typical winged out liner.
- If you’re going with a Teal or Cobalt blue color try lining the inner rim or water line of your eyes with a white pencil. This intensifies the bright blue colors by adding a contrast.
- A shimmery lime green rimmed on the upper and lower lash line paired with an apricot blush is the definition of fearless and spunky.
- If you’re on the fence about whether to wear such bold colors, try a jewel toned purple and pair it with a pale pink lip and blush.
As for pairing the appropriate colors for your eye color, I would suggest the following:
-Blue eyes: orange or bronze
-Hazel: purple or dark green
-Brown eyes: blue-green or purple.
-Green: blue or gold.
So now that we’ve dabbled in the wonderful world of color, I’d like to leave you with some final tips!
- Don’t be afraid to experiment. We see neon clothing in all the stores these days so stick with the trend.
- Black mascara is the key to pulling this look off and giving such strong colors a break